Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Street Tacos



There's a popular type of food around this area called "Street Tacos."  At least that's what my husband calls them and they are these little open-faced tacos usually made with grilled meat and served from a street cart in Baja California, Mexico.  Living within miles of the border, you can understand why they would be popular around here.  Apparently they're really good, but I wouldn't know...

Since we had all those leftover corn tortillas from the "Huevos" Rancheros, I decided I wanted street tacos and I was going to make them, vegan-style.

I had a block of grilled tofu from a BBQ the night before so I chopped it up into thin rectangular pieces.  In a pan, I sauteed some chopped onions in olive oil and added some salsa and chili powder, salt and pepper.

Sorry, there are no exact measurements here.  With things like this you kinda just have to go with what you feel like is the right amount of ingredients.  Isn't that what makes cooking so much fun anyway?

I threw the tofu in the pan and mixed everything all together and let it simmer for about ten minutes.

Meanwhile I heated up some Cuban-style black beans and a black bean soup from Trader Joes.

Made some rice and chopped up an avocado and tomato.  Added a salad on the side.

Finally I put it all together with the corn tortillas and sprinkled Tapa Tio over everything. 


Street Tacos are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment