Sunday, February 6, 2011

Vichy-what?

Tonight we visited a quaint little French village, high up in the alps of France...

Actually, let's visit the Ritz-Carlton hotel in New York at the turn of the century (the 20th century that is).  This is where this French soup was first created.  Loius Diat remembered a potato-leek soup his grandmother used to make when he was a child in Vichy, France, and wanted to recreate the dish for patrons of the hotel.  Thus an American-French soup called vichysoisse was born.  (I googled how to pronounce it and it goes like this "vee-shee-swah.")

I again turned to The Soup Bible and followed their recipe, making only a few modifications to veganify it.  It turned to be exactly what we needed on this chilly Southern California evening.  Even without the creme fraiche it called for, the soup was still thick and creamy and delicious!

Here's what I did:

Peeled and cubed 1 1/2 large potatoes.  I then added them to six cups of vegetable stock and let that boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.  Next, I added two garlic cloves and 1 cup of sliced leeks.  I let that simmer for another 15 minutes.  Finally, I scooped out the potato chunks and leeks and pureed about 3/4 of them before stirring the puree back into the broth. 

With a dash of salt and pepper and some parsely as a garnish we sat down to a lovely Ritz-Carlton feast!  I also made some orzo pasta in a mushroom sauce for a side dish. 

P.S.  W and I polished off the entire pot of vichysoisse by the end of the night.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment