Monday, August 22, 2011

Gnocchi Two Ways

This looks good right?  Yeah, not so much.
First I tried to make the gnocchi with a homemade pesto sauce.  The recipe is from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  I've made this pesto before and it's turned out wonderfully.  Something happened this time and it was a disaster.  I followed the recipe exactly, but I should have known it wouldn't turn out right when I started pinching the basil leaves from my patio basil plant and they just looked really yellow and puny.  Do you know what I mean?  Basil leaves are supposed to be nice and healthy, large and green.

Sure enough, the pesto sauce was terrible.  I won't go into any more detail about what went wrong, but I was the lucky one to take the bite and instantly realize that it was just plain bad.  I warned W and he tentatively took a bite to find out what I was talking about.  Yup, bad.

To at least save the gnocchi, I just rinsed the pesto off each of the gnocchi balls and saved it for later.  W got out the popcorn popper and guess what we ended up having for dinner?  Good thing we love popcorn and practically eat it every day anyway.

*****

The next day my husband started rustling around in the kitchen while I read a book in the living room.  This always makes me suspicious.
Me: "What are you doing?"
W:  Don't worry about it.  I'm fixing something."
Me: "Hmmm."

Ten minutes later...



Me:  "Wow!  This looks amazing!"
W:  "Of course it’s amazing.  I’m Italian and I can cook!”
(I grab a fork as fast as possible.)
W:  "You can put this in your blog.  I call it Rescue Gnocchi."
(We both take big bites and chew in satisfaction.)
W:  "Here's the instructions -- Skillet.  Olive Oil.  Garlic.  Tomatoes.  Whatever those chivey things are.  Medium Heat.  Gnocchi...add gnocchi half-way through the cooking process.  Serve."

I mean, the man can cook.  Simple as that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment