Wednesday, August 31, 2011

(Tofu) "Huevos" Rancheros


Yes!  I did it!  I made vegan Huevos Rancheros for breakfast and used my own recipe!  I'm sure there are other vegan recipes out there for this, but for once I didn't look up any of them.  This is totally created and executed by me!  I'm very excited.

It all came to me when I was making scrambled tofu one morning and thought "If I'm using tofu as a replacement for scrambled eggs, why couldn't I use tofu to replace the eggs in Huevos Rancheros?"  The scrambled tofu is always really good and sometimes we can even forget we're not even eating real eggs!  So let's try out the "egg" theory with tofu in another dish...


...Huevos Rancheros:

You will need:

Corn tortillas
Vegetarian refried beans
Daiya Mozzarella

Sauce:
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 can stewed tomatoes, fire roasted kind
2 tablespoons salsa
2 tablespoons Tapa Tio
First, soften the onions in a little oil in a skillet.  Next, add the tomatoes, salsa and Tapa Tio and let the sauce simmer on medium-low heat while you prepare the "fried eggs."  

Tofu "fried eggs:"
Cut two 1/4-inch thick slices, lengthwise.
Use a juice glass to measure circles in the strips.
Cover the bottom of a pan with oil to fry the tofu circles.
Fry on medium-high heat, flipping occasionally until both sides look semi-crispy and golden.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper while frying.

For the yellow "yolk" center, make a mixture of 1 tsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp McKay's chicken season, 1 tsp olive oil.  Mix well and put in the center of each tofu circle.  (This is mainly for looks;  you can just mix the "yolk" mixture in the pan while they are frying for added taste to the tofu circles.)

Meanwhile, remember to heat the refried beans and corn tortillas.

On a plate, lay out two tortillas and spread the beans on them.  Next, put the tofu circles on top of the beans and cover the whole thing with the sauce.  Sprinkle the Daiya on top of that, add some Mexican rice and fried potatoes* on the side and there you have it!  Vegan Huevos Rancheros! 




*Credit is owed to my husband for making the amazing potatoes using red potatoes, salt, pepper, and paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment