Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Polenta with Basil and White Bean Salsa



Thank you, Darcy, for posting this idea on Facebook!  I saw it this morning and knew I had to make it immediately. 

I don't know what Darcy's recipe was, but below I have included what I came up with.  The bean salsa was really amazing, but I made the mistake of getting quinoa-polenta which was not a fan favorite in our household.  Poor Will tried his best to swallow the stuff, but after a few bites just couldn't do it anymore.  He said it was too "grainy" tasting.  (He also called it "placenta," which made me fall over laughing and forgive him for not liking the dinner I had just made him.)  I'll admit, it definitely was not as good as just regular, corn polenta.  Please don't let that deter you from trying this recipe.  Just make sure to use plain polenta.
 
White Bean Salsa

1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon "Gourmet Garden" basil




Put beans, bell pepper, tomatoes and onions in a bowl together.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.  Pour mixture over beans and mix well.

Serve over polenta and drizzle with balsamic.  I'm sure this would also be delicious with pita chips or on its own.





No comments:

Post a Comment