Sunday, November 25, 2012

Creamy Farro Pilaf with Wild Mushrooms


We had two Thanksgiving dinners to go to last week, and I wanted to bring some new, vegan side dishes.  Whole Living Magazine is seriously my go-to source for the perfect recipes!  I can not express enough how much I love that magazine. 

A couple weeks ago I visited an old friend and she made a farro salad for dinner.  It was delicious and amazing!  I had never had farro before, but I loved it.  When I saw this recipe in Whole Living, I HAD to make it asap. 

I just switched out the chicken broth with vegan chicken broth, and I left out the Parmesan.  I brought it to the Wednesday Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit.  

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 cup farro
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
  • Coarse salt
  • 12 ounces wild mushrooms, such as shiitake or oyster, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • Red-pepper flakes
  • 1 bunch spinach (10 ounces), stemmed
  • 1/4 cup crumbled Parmesan, plus more for serving

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add farro, stirring until toasted, 1 minute.  Add stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until farro is tender and creamy, 35 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and cover to keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and red-pepper flakes. Roast, stirring once, until crisp and golden, 20 to 22 minutes.
  3. Warm farro over medium heat and add spinach, stirring until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and Parmesan. Top with additional Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment