Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chickpea-Spinach Curry

It feels like it has been a very long time since I followed a recipe and cooked in my own kitchen.  Oh, how I've missed it!

Last night I happily made a recipe from this month's Real Simple magazine.  The cover of the magazine boasted something about a month of easy dinner's so of course I had to check it out.

They had a recipe for Chickpea-Spinach Curry with Cucumber-Yogurt sauce, but of course I made it my way.  For starters, I skipped the yogurt part and made a chopped salad and served it all with naan.  This is how I did it:

2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups chickpeas, cooked (I used dry beans and soaked and cooked them the day before)
1 1/2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
Sea Salt and Black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened.  Add the curry powder and cumin and stir until well blended.

Add the chickpeas and stir to blend all ingredients.  Transfer to a large cooking pot.  Add spinach, two cups of water, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.  Stir everything together.  Bring to a simmer and cook for about 12 minutes.  Stir every so often.

For the salad, I chopped a half of a green pepper, a hothouse cucumber, and a large tomato.  Add a handful of fresh spinach, finely chopped.

I also made this dressing for the salad:
1/2 lime, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Braggs liquid aminos
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Drizzle the dressing over the chopped fresh veggies and blend well.



W was excited about the naan since we didn't have any a couple weeks ago with out Trader Joe's Indian food.  I used Kontos Tandoori Naan which is vegan and tastes delicious!


I served it all up with jasmine rice and we feasted!  It tasted very authentic, if I don't mind saying so.  In addition, it was all made from scratch (except the naan) which makes everything just so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment