Friday, October 21, 2011

Stir-Fried Broccoli with Mushrooms, Red Onion, and Seasoned Tofu



Another successful night back in my kitchen!  Hooray!  This time I followed a recipe from the Follow Your Heart cookbook by Janice Cook Knight.  Follow Your Heart is a brand that makes such wonderful vegan staples as vegenaise and cheese substitutes.  The Follow Your Heart headquarters and restaurant is in Canoga Park, CA, which is conveniently located right along one of my work-travel routes.  I've eaten there only once, but it was delicious! 

Here is the recipe straight from the book because I followed it (mostly) exactly.

"1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small red onion, sliced in thin half circles (about 1 cup)
8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used cremini)
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (I just used regular soy sauce)
1 tablespoon water
8 ounces seasoned firm tofu or 1/2 recipe Marinated Tofu on page 139  (included below), cut into [rectangular pieces]
2 to 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
A few splashes of ume plum vinegar (optional) (I didn't have this)

"Wash broccoli and remove touch stems.  Cut off broccoli florets, dividing them into bite-sized pieces, and cut remaining stem pieces into thin slices about 1/4 by 3 inches.  Set aside, keeping stems and florets separate. 

In a 12-inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Oil should be quite hot, but not smoking.  Add onion and saute, stirring oten, until onion is a little tender, about 5 minutes.  Add mushrooms release their liquid and begin to brown, about 8 minutes.  Push onions and mushrooms to the edges of pan. 

Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the middle of the pan, and let it get hot.  Add broccoli stems and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.  Add broccoli florets and stir-fry another two minutes, browning florets slightly.  Add [soy sauce] and 1 tablespoon water.  Cover and steam, lifting the lid to stir all together occasionally, for 5-8 minutes over medium heat, or until broccoli florets are just tender (al dente).  Add tofu.  Remove from heat.  Add sesame oil and toss gentlyl adjust seasonings.  If a more piquant flavor is desired, sprinkly on a little ume plum vinegar, to taste.  Serve immediately" (136-137).  [Serves 4]

As I was typing this, I realized that I forgot to add the sesame oil!  That would have been good too... but I did add the rest of the marinade that the tofu had been sitting in, so I guess that counts for something.

Here it is!  We ate it with Cal Rose rice and a few drops of Sriracha (these two things are practically daily staples in our house.)  Also we had some edamame on the side.  Yum.  The husband gobbled his generous serving down before I could barely even start, so I guess that's a good sign! 

No comments:

Post a Comment