Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Weekend of the Pumpkin

This was definitely a pumpkin-themed weekend in our house.  We took pictures in two different pumpkin patches, carved pumpkins, roasted pumpkin seeds, made pumpkin shaped cookies, and had pumpkin pasta.  Not to mentiont there were two different candles burning and one was called "Pumpkin Patch" while the other one was called "Autumn."

If you remember that story about our German-themed weekend, you will know that we really like to celebrate any kind of holiday or theme.  It's only going to get better from here on out.  We have Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up!  Talk about getting crazy with the themes.

Anyway, here are some pumpkin pictures from the weekend:

Can you guess which one is mine?

A festive fall lunch!


I used this recipe from "Your Daily Vegan" for the sugar cookies and they turned out wonderfully!  I even got The Husband to frost and decorate them using vegan frosting I made from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.  (I just replaced non-vegan ingredients with vegan ones like Tofutti cream cheese instead of cream cheese.)


I made some apple shaped cookies too.


For the Pumpkin Pasta, I referred to a recipe from last October's Whole Living magazine.  You can click here for the recipe, but here are a few things I did differently:

--Instead of anchovies, I used capers.
--I forgot to get fresh parsely at the store today, so I used a few sprinkles of dried Italian seasoning instead and it seemed to work well.
--I left out the Parmesan cheese.

Other than that, I pretty much followed the recipe and it was really good.  A perfect dish for our pumpkin filled weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment