Sunday, December 4, 2011

Veggie Lover's Tortilla Soup



I know there are million recipes out there for Tortilla Soup, but this is my version.  The idea came to me today when I wanted to make vegan quesadillas, but wanted something else to go with them.  It turned out to be a great match and The Husband said that he felt like he was eating at an authentic Mexican restaurant!  Ahhhhhh.

So here goes -- no recipes followed this time; it's my own creation:

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 can diced tomatoes (I used Trader Joe's organic, no salted)
1/2 can vegetarian refried beans
1 cup black beans
1/2 jalepeno pepper, finely chopped
1/2 serrano pepper, finely chopped (I used the Tupperware chop n prep)
2 cups "chicken" broth (I used McKay's Chicken Seasoning)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste

Saute the garlic and onions in the olive oil.

After about 5 minutes, add the peppers.  Stir well and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add tomatoes and simmer mixture for 5 minutes.

Add the two kinds of beans, "chicken" broth, and spices.  Mix well.  Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes while you make the quesadillas!

To make the tortilla strips for the soup, cut a tortilla into 1/4 inch strips.  Spread strips on a baking sheet and put in the oven at 375 for 6 minutes or until they look brown and crispy.

So I already explained the reaction of W, and I think I'd have to agree.  Seriously, who needs to go out to eat when we can make this amazing restaurant-style food at home?! 

The quesadilla's are self-explanatory, but here is my version -- with tomatoes, avocado's and the chili peppers inside with Daiya vegan cheese.  Also, I used Trader Joe's whole wheat tortillas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment