Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Easy Peasy (Cheesey) Pasta


I think I must have mentioned before that after every time I babysit, I always want mac and cheese so bad!  I always make it for the kids, but can't have any and it looks so good that I have to immediately come home and make a vegan version.

Well, this time I didn't exactly make mac and cheese, but instead I followed a Chloe's Kitchen recipe that I've made before.  See original post.  It's almost like mac and cheese, and just as good.  It's supposed to be a pasta salad recipe, but we eat it hot and it's so delicious.  FYI, we ate the entire pot.  I put our first servings in ramekins and browned them a little in the oven.  After that, we pretty much just ate the rest right out of the pot like savages or something.  I mean, seriously.

Easy Peasy Pasta

Ingredients

1 small new potato, red or white, peeled and quartered
1 pound pasta (I used Quinoa pasta this time)
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 heaping teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup cold water
2/3 cup olive oil


Directions

Place potato in a small saucepan and cover with salted water.  Bring to a boil and let cook until tender.  Drain, rinse with cold water, and let potatoes cool completely.

Cook pasta according to package.  Add frozen peas to the boiling pasta right before draining.  Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.  Transfer pasta and peas to a large serving bowl.

Meanwhile, combine cooled potatoes, garlic, tomato paste, mustard, capers, oregano, basil, salt, and water in a food processor.  Slowly add the oil in a thin stream and process until smooth.  Toss pasta and peas with sauce, and adjust seasoning to taste.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.  (Remember, I served mine warm/hot and it was great.)

No comments:

Post a Comment