Sunday, January 20, 2013
"Chicken" Chickpea Noodle Soup
I'm finally back from all my traveling and can get back into the kitchen! By the way, I got a new camera for Christmas and I'm still experimenting with it, so unfortunately the picture above is a little blurry.
Someone in our household has been sick this week, and it's not me. So there's pretty much been only one appetite in our house, and it's definitely mine.
What's the best thing for a sickie? Chicken noodle soup of course! I found this recipe in the cookbook Veganomicon and adapted it into this:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 cup chopped baby carrots
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried ground rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons mirin
1/3 cup light yellow miso
4 cups vegan chicken broth
2 cups water
1 15 oz. can chickpeas
6 ounces brown rice spaghetti
1. Saute the onions and carrots in the oil for about ten minutes or until they are softened. Add the garlic, mushrooms, and herbs and cook for another five minutes. Add the mirin, stir. Add the chicken broth, water and chickpeas. Stir well, bring to a boil.
2. Lower heat and let simmer.
3. Meanwhile, break the spaghetti into thirds. In a separate pot, cook the spaghetti according to the package.
4. When the spaghetti is done, it's time to serve the soup.
5. To serve, place the desired amount of spaghetti in a bowl and spoon ladle-fulls of soup on top.
Eat and enjoy and feel better if you have the nasty cold.