Sunday, January 27, 2013

Vegan No-Hole Doughnuts

 
Hot diggity, these are amazing!  Vegan donuts, I can't believe it.

So I was watching this stupid commercial about some kind children's pediasure drink that's supposed to be healthier for them than french fries and stuff, and they showed all these kids playing soccer and one of the little girls was dressed as a chocolate-glazed doughnut with sprinkles.  And then all of a sudden I just HAD to have a chocolate glazed doughnut with sprinkles.  I mean how sick is that?  A little kid dressed as a doughnut made me want to eat doughnuts?!  I can never actually eat doughnuts because they are made with all sorts or milk and dairy.  Of course, doughnuts are super unhealthy anyway, so I'm not complaining.  But sometimes don't you just want a doughnut?  Like for a special occasion or something?  After our week in Boston, which I swear is the doughnut capital of the world, I was already jonesing for one of those round things, and then I saw that ridiculous commercial!  That was it.

I knew my trusty Chloe's Kitchen cookbook had a vegan donut recipe that I've been eying for awhile, and now was the time to make them.  The best part about this recipe is that I had all the ingredients already and it was incredibly easy to make.  I don't have a doughnut pan, so I just plopped little balls of dough on a pan and baked them as giant doughnut holes.  Despite their lack of doughnut-like appearance, they tasted just fine.  In fact they were so delicious I immediately ate two of them. 

Enough said.

Recipe from Chloe's Kitchen

Doughnuts
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup white or apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Chocolate glaze
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (dairy-free)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon almond milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly grease two doughnut pans (or just a regular cookie sheet like I did.)

In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.  In a medium bowl, whisk nondairy milk, oil vinegar, and vanilla.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk together quickly until just combined.  Do not overmix.

Using a pastry bag or plastic bag with the tip cut, pipe batter into the prepared doughnut pans (I just used my hands to form two-inch balls and placed them two inches apart on cookie sheet) and bake for 10-12 minutes.  Remove the pan from the oven and let sit 5 minutes before unmolding.

To make the chocolate glaze:
In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips and almond milk together. (About 45 seconds.)  Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. 

Dip each doughnut into the glaze, covering the top.  Immediately sprinkle the tops with colored sprinkles and let set.


No comments:

Post a Comment