Bored during some meetings last week, I started looking for some more soup recipes for national soup month. I found this one on www.theglutenfreevegan.com. It was super easy to make and tasted like tortilla soup (so observed by Will.) I couldn't find any cans or creamed corn at Sprouts, so I just used frozen corn, and it was delicious. Here is the recipe from The Gluten Free Vegan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds removed if you require a milder heat level)
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 10oz cans creamed corn
- 1½ cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 stalks green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute diced onion, garlic and jalapeno until they begin to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, creamed corn, black beans, almond milk and seasonings. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Add in chopped green onion and cilantro and garnish with avocado, if using.
- Serve immediately.