Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Stuffed Shells



For some reason I had time to make a double batch of this old-time classic fave.  Maybe it was because Will was out of town and Little R went to bed early, so I felt like I had eons of time that night.

As I've mentioned before, I've been making stuffed shells since I was in college.  It's kind of like my signature dish.  And to toot my own horn, my stuffed shells are pretty darn good.

I mostly don't follow a recipe, but if I do, I follow the Skinny B recipe, because as we all know, I love that book.

I made a double batch, because I wanted some for the next night for us and also some to take to my brother and sister-in-law who are new parents and could probably use a meal that they don't have to cook.

When Will and I enjoyed our batch the next night, I have to admit we ate more than half the entire casserole dish!  There was barely enough left-over for lunch the next day!  I think I need to make this again soon because it is so good.

From the Skinny B cookbook:

Tofu "Ricotta"

14-16 oz extra firm tofu, crumbled
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

In a food processor, combine the tofu, garlic, olive oil, oregano, and salt and pulse to puree.  Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

Stuffed Shells with Red Sauce

3 quarts water
8 ounces whole wheat or brown rice jumbo pasta shells
1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups Tofu "Ricotta"
1 (10-oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (I used fresh kale)
2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs (I left these out)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups red sauce (I used organic marinara sauce from Trader Joes.)

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook shells according to package

Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.  Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl and mix in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, along with the Tofu Ricotta, spinach (or kale), cheese bread crumbs and pepper.

Spread about 1 cup of red sauce on the bottom of the 13 x 9-inch pan.  Stuff each shell with about 2 tablespoons of the Tofu Ricotta mixture, arranging the stuffed shells on top of the sauce.  Top each shell with a dollop of the remaining sauce. Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment