Sunday, January 11, 2015

Potato Soup

Here we are in January again!  Happy New Year everyone!  Of course one of my resolutions is to write more, so hopefully we will all be seeing a lot more veggie goodness happening.  First up is National Soup Month -- January.  Remember my pumpkin month project back in October.  Let's try something like that with soups.  Now, I'm not going to make a different soup every day -- my entire extra freezer in the garage would be jam packed with the leftovers!  No, I'm just going to make a conscious effort to make as many fun, delicious soups as I can this month and fill in the extra days with healthy... veggie goodness!


A few days ago I threw together a delicious potato soup with ingredients I already had at home because I hadn't had time to go grocery shopping yet.  I'm usually not a huge fan of potato soups, but this one was pretty good.

So here it is:

2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp Herbs de Provence
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
3 cups water
1 tsp vegan chicken seasoning powder
3 red potatoes, peeled and cubed (about two cups)
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 cup frozen spinach

Heat coconut oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.  Add onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 6-7 minutes.  Add garlic, herbs, salt and cumin, stir and cook for about 2 more minutes.

Add water and vegan chicken seasoning, stir.
Add potatoes and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add spinach and cook for 2 more minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment