Sunday, July 22, 2012

Green Bell Peppers stuffed with Soy Beef Crumbles



I made my menu for the week and everything looked great and delicious, but by the time I got to the store I had completely changed my mind.  I just didn't feel like mashed sweet potatoes.  (Hello, it's not Thanksgiving.)

So I wandered around Jimbo's Naturally and Trader Joe's trying to figure out the week's menu.  Will called and asked what was for dinner and I told him some things that were in my cart.  We decided on stuffed peppers.

Here is what I came up with:

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 package soy-beef crumbles (Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup tomato sauce (I used Trader Joe's Traditional Marinara sauce)
 2 large green bell peppers

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350.

Heat oil in a pan over medium/high heat.  Add onions and cook for about 2-3 minutes.  Add carrots and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Add garlic, paprika, and cumin. Stir well.

Add beef crumbles and tomato sauce and stir all well.  Cook for five minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the tops off of the peppers and make sure the inside is clean of seeds.

Stuff the peppers with the beef mixture until slightly overfilled.  Put the top of the peppers back on.

Lightly oil a baking pan and carefully place the peppers inside, standing up.

Bake for about 1 hour or until the outside of the peppers are lightly browned. 

Serve with fried polenta and fresh beets for a well-rounded, delicious dinner.

This is very quick and easy to make, and The Husband loved it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment