Guess what new kitchen appliance I just got?
A crock pot!
I had always been reluctant to get a crock pot because I was under the impression that these things are really only for cooking meat roasts or stuff like that. Well, I looked up a ton of vegetarian crock pot recipes and was convinced I desperately needed one.
The first thing I made in it was from savvyvegetarian.com. It's summertime, but of course in San Diego it feels like fall all year long. A good, hearty soup is always appropriate. This was an amazing one.
Jamaican Red Bean Stew
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby carrots
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (16 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 - 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth or water
- Optional: 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Pour the oil into a 4-quart slow cooker and set the cooker on high. Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- To the cooker, add the carrots, scallions, sweet potato, and tomatoes.
- Stir in the curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste
- Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours