Monday, July 30, 2012

Kale Salad



Every time I buy kale, I never really know exactly what to do with it.  I think my intention this time was to saute it to serve as a side for something... I can't remember.  Obviously I never made that meal, so a few days later, I still had this huge bag of kale sitting in my fridge.  After visiting Whole Foods earlier in the day (and only buying two vegan cupcakes for Will's birthday) I was inspired to make Kale salad.  Whole foods had at least three different kale salads for sale in their salad bar section!

Okay, so I made one and I loved it.  If you are a fan of kale and other leafy greens, then you will love this too.  I think even Will would have loved this.  Unfortunately I took this to a dinner where all the other food was fried meat and cheese.  Needless to say, my healthy little kale salad was overlooked.  This only means there was more for me! 


I did skim some recipes online, but this is what I came up with myself:

2 cups kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup chard, chopped into bite-size pieces (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 cup cucumber, chopped into small pieces
2 carrots, sliced and chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
Course sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

First mix the greens, olive and lemon juice.  Massage with hands for about 2 minutes until the kale starts to become soft.

Add the rest of the ingredients, and using hands again, massage the entire salad for another 2 minutes.

Serve right away, or chill in fridge until ready to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment