Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Not on the menu

I was looking at the recipe for split pea soup, which I have really been craving and is also on this weeks menu in case you can recall, and I saw that it needed to stew for 90 minutes!  Plus a 30 minute prep period?  I don't think so.  I am ravenous by the time I get home and I need a hearty, delicious dinner that's ready quick.  It was about 3:30 and I was already feeling the twinges of afternoon hunger and could hardly bear the thought of waiting much past the time I get home at 6:30 to eat.  I thought of what we had in the pantry that I could whip up quickly once I got home.  Pasta and salad!  A wonderful, classic dinner.  Totally gluten-free, vegan.

First, take a package of Quinoa pasta.  Cook it.

Second, take a can of tomato sauce and a can of stewed tomatoes.  Cook them together with fresh basil, parsley, garlic and onions.  Add red crushed peppers and five (or however many you want) frozen, veggie meatballs.

Third, make a huge salad with at least five different vegetables.


Finally, when pasta and sauce are ready -- put them together and eat while steaming hot.  It's so good you'll have to stop yourself from scraping the bottom of the pot, but control yourself and try to save some for tomorrow's lunch at least!

I like to eat the salad last because I don't want my pasta to get cold.  No matter at what part of the meal you eat it, don't forget to eat your veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment