Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Skinny ----- (Rhymes with witch)

I have the two books in this series and I love them.

Despite their crude language, they actually have a really good message about being a vegan.  I was a vegan way back in college, but strayed away for several years before coming back to the diet last April.  Skinny Bitch was the first book I read during my re-transformation and I couldn't put it down.  This book reveals the myth behind society's belief that we "need" milk and meat in order to survive and be healthy.  The book instead provides much healthier alternatives to obtaining the proper amount of protein and vitamins by eating a plant-based diet.

Skinny Bitch in the Kitch is the companion book full of all these amazing, delicious vegan recipes.  Yesterday I made the Herbed "Egg" Salad and Mock Chopped liver.  The egg salad was so good, W and I scarfed it down while standing at the counter in the kitchen.  Unfortunately it was gone before we could get any pictures of it.  However, W's testimony is that if you add a dash of regular yellow mustard and a pinch of paprika sprinkled on top you get a deviled egg!

The Mock Chopped Liver is a little bit more "interesting."  I've never even tried real chopped liver, so I had nothing on which to base the taste.  However, when W tasted it he said if we brought it to a fancy party and called it Duck Liver Pate, no one would no it wasn't the real thing.  I tested it out on some coworkers today and someone who actually likes the real chopped liver said it tasted like Goose Liver Pate!

Who knew!

Herbed "Egg" Salad Scoops*


Mock Chopped Liver*






*Recipes are credited to Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

No comments:

Post a Comment