Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mac and Cheesey-licious!

'

My vegan bff JT showed this recipe to me months ago. I've made it about two times already, but this time I modified it a bit and it was seriously the best version yet. I know I say that every time, but it's for real this time.

Both my husband and I went back for, not seconds, but THIRDS! We actually had to stop ourselves from finishing off the whole pan in one sitting. Let's have some self-control! W said this version matched real mac and cheese the closest I've ever made, "and I don't have to worry about how much I eat!"

I used the already cooked whole wheat noodles and other ingredients from that unfortunate mac and cheese pancake disaster; and this is how I made it:


First:
(Pre-heat oven to 350)

12 ounces cooked noodles (approximately one package of noodles)
1 1/2 cups daiya cheddar and mozzarella mixed cheese
1/4 cup chopped vegan ham or bacon slices

--put noodles and most of the cheese in a big mixing bowl. Set aside.

Next:
1 heaping tablespoon earth balance
2 small garlic cloves, crushed
Couple shakes of salt and pepper
1 heaping tablespoon flour
1 cup rice milk (original flavor)

--Heat the first earth balance, garlic, salt and pepper in a small sauce pan. Once butter is nice and melted, whisk in the flour, until it's pasty. Stir in the rice milk until you have a nice, thick liquid sauce.

--Pour the sauce into the mixing bowl with noodles and cheese. Stir very well.

Then:
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast

--Sprinkle nutritional yeast on noodles and sauce. Continue to mix well.

--Transfer to square baking pan.

--Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Add a few sprinkles of paprika and crushed red pepper. Finally, top generously with bread crumbs.

--Bake for 28 minutes.
--Move to top rack and broil on high for 2 minutes to crisp up the top. (This was W's suggestion and it was amazing!)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm. I loved this one so much that I'm making it again tonight! I have every intention of eating the entire pan again.

    ReplyDelete