Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chickenish Salad




Whenever I heard about someone making chicken salad I thought it sounded like the most disgusting thing ever. Apparently it was like egg salad, but with mushed up chicken instead of eggs. Gross.

Well. I came across this recipe for a vegan "chicken" salad and I thought I'd give it a try. After all, it isn't really chicken! It's meat-free of course, and made with my favorite bread spread ever -- Vegenaise. (By the way, it's pronounced like how you say the first part of vegetable, and then add "nayz." Some people thing it's pronounced like how you say "I'm a vegan." I mean, just look at the spelling. It's obviously a soft g. Anyway...)

I love anything you can put on a piece of bread or cracker and can call a "spread," so I was really excited to try this. I hoped it wasn't as nasty as I thought real chicken salad sounded like.

And boy did my dreams come true! I love this stuff! I've made it a couple times and eat it for lunch as a sandwich or on crackers or pretzels. It is so good! Not only that, but it's super easy to make and you can do so many different things with it. Here's the basic recipe I use, but feel free to modify it however you want. As you can see, the picture above shows a different version of the stuff on the crackers below. It all works, and it's all dee-lish.




2 cups dry soy curls
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp McKay's Chicken seasoning

1/2 cup Vegenaise

1st -- Put soy curls in a large bowl, cover with hot water, and soak for 10 minutes
2nd -- Drain soy curls and dice finely, or chop in a food processor. I like to use my Tupperware Chop and Prep -- this thing is amazing if I haven't already mentioned that. I love it.



3rd -- Mix together the chopped soy curls and all the other ingredients.




Finally -- Indulge immediately! But try to save some for lunch this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment