Saturday, April 16, 2011

Vegan Chili and Lime Rice


While visiting my parents last month, my dad picked up this recipe from his local grocery store and thought I would like to try it.


I mean, hello! Of COURSE I would like to try it! Not only is it beans and rice which is practically my favorite combination of food ever, but I'll pretty much try any recipe you give me. If it's vegan, that is. And if it's not, I'll make it vegan -- dare me.

So here you go Dad! I wish you could have been here to taste the results!

The rice was definitely KEY to this meal. Something about the coriander and lime in the rice pulled all the flavors of the chili together. I added extra chili powder and cayenne pepper (which isn't even in the recipe) to give it a little extra kick. Otherwise, this recipe is right on. It was probably the best chili I have ever made -- and the lime rice is amazing. I'm definitely going to be making this again and again.

In case you can't read that horrible picture of the recipe, here it is. It's from:
communicatingfoodforhealth.com

1 cup brown rice (I used white)
2 cups water
dash coriander, garlic, pepper
2 limes, cut in wedges
1 can no-salt kidney beans (I used dry kidney and pink beans, soaked the night before)
1 can no-salt diced tomatoes (I used 1 large fresh tomato, diced)
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 can tomato paste (I skipped this)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp chili powder (I added 3 more teaspoons...SPICY!)
1 tsp cumin (another KEY ingredient! Do not leave this out!)
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Cook rice, water and coriander/garlic/pepper in a pan or rice cooker until done. Add the juice of one lime, fluff with a fork and allow to stand

Meanwhile, cook chili by adding kidney beans, diced tomatoes, minced onion, water and the rest of the seasonings to a medium skillet; bring to boil then lower to a simmer.

To serve the chili, mold the rice in a small cup and place in the center of a bowl. Surround with chili. (I just added the rice on top of the chili.)

Garnish with lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment