Thursday, July 21, 2011

How difficult is it to make a baked potato?



For some reason, every time we try to make baked potatoes it doesn't work.  I don't get it.  Isn't a baked potato supposed to be the easiest thing in the world to make?  All you do is stick it the oven and let it bake.

The problem is that we expect the potato to be baked after an hour in the over at 425 degrees, but it never is!  Are we missing something?  Is it supposed to bake for two hours?  That seems a little excessive.

We decided to try our hand at this mysterious baked potato business and I even followed what my Better Homes and Garden cookbook told me to do:  wrap in tinfoil and bake at 425 for sixty minutes.

At the 60 minute mark the potato was still raw.  I was so frustrated!  How could this be possible?!  Not only was the potato not even close to being done, I had prepared all the sides and toppings and everything was ready to go... sigh.  We just needed a potato to put it all on.

W was determined to get a baked potato, but I was impatient.  I took one out of the oven and sliced it up to fry in the skillet -- breakfast hash style.  W put another fifteen minutes on the clock and we waited.  I occasionally flipped my frying potatoes while his potato still baked.

In the end, W's potato came out perfectly baked, and I had hashbrowns.  Apparently it takes way over an hour to bake a potato.  No matter; we both just piled up our different potatoes with the same toppings and it all turned out.

Toppings included:
sauteed mushrooms, onions, and zucchini
steamed green beans
brussel sprouts
spinach
corn


1 comment:

  1. Maybe there's something wrong with your oven??? I bake potatoes at 425 for about an hour, and they come out fine....... Do you prick them with a fork before baking? My grandma used to do that, and it seemed to help. I do (usually...when I remember!!!).

    Have you ever baked carrots? I love baked carrots! (Don't much care for cooked carrots, though.) You wash and scrape them, then put them in foil and bake along with your potatoes. Yummy! (Baby carrots work well, too.)

    ReplyDelete