Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Enchiladas



I was inspired to make enchiladas when I was visiting my brother and his in-laws in Australia.  They were all talking about how good the enchilada's are that M makes and I wished we had had time to have her make them for us.  I vowed that when I got back home I would try my own hand at enchiladas.

Three weeks later, and I finally had time to make them.  Thank you M for the inspiration!  I made up my own recipe and these were well worth the wait!  Delicious!

Basically you can put anything inside the tortillas, but you just need a good enchilada sauce.  I used the Sprouts brand, and it was great.


Here's what else I did:


Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 zucchini, chopped into small pieces
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1/2 can refried beans (vegetarian)
1 cup fresh spinach
Package of small corn tortillas (I used the Mission Artisan kind, see below.)
1 cup mozzarella and cheddar flavored Daiya, mixed
2 cups enchilada sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne




Directions 
Pre-heat over to 350.

First, saute the onions and garlic over medium-high heat in the olive for about 3 minutes.  Add the zucchini and pepper, cook for another 4-5 minutes until everything is soft.  Add the salsa and beans.  Stir well and turn heat down to low. 

Spread about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. 

Add the spinach to the beans and stir well.

Now it's time to assemble the enchiladas!

Take a tortilla and put it on a clean plate.  Spread about two tablespoons of the bean mixture on the tortilla.  Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the the cheese mixture on top of the bean spread.  Carefully roll the tortilla into a slim roll and place in the casserole dish.  Do this with as many tortillas as needed until the casserole dish is full.  Cover the enchiladas with the rest of the enchilada sauce.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the sauce-covered tortillas.  Sprinkle the cayenne pepper over everything.

Bake for 30 minutes.

When finished, eat immediately and enjoy!

I served them with my fresh guacamole which was a great addition.  W ate four of them and said they tasted better than a restaurant's!  I mean, he might always says that, but still...  I'll take it!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment