Sunday, January 22, 2012

Game Day Food

Although I've never lived in San Francisco, I was a huge San Francisco 49ers fan growing up.  I had a 49ers jacket, a 49ers blanket, and even posters of Steve Young and Jerry Rice on my bedroom wall.  Let's not forget the red and gold bands on my braces. 

As childhood phases go, I grew up, went away to boarding school and forgot all about my football-loving days.  However, I have always held a fondness in my heart for my childhood team and am super excited to see them in the championship this year!

I haven't watched a football game all season, but today I made a smorgasbord feast and settled in with The Husband to see if my old team will make it to the Superbowl for the first time in eighteen years. 

It is half-time as we speak so I can take a few minutes to show some of the vegan items on the game-day menu:

Pretzel Crisps with dijon mustard

Chips and salsa and spicy hummus

Guacamole, freshly homemade!

Green olives
 

And the main entree:
Pink Beans and Rice

The recipe is straight from the back of the can!  I always see those recipes on packaged goods, but always wonder who actually follows them.  You know, I usually already have a recipe in mind when I buy a product, but this time, I actually bought the can of beans BECAUSE of the recipe on it!  Ha!

Here it is!  It was quite delicious and game-worthy.



Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1/2 cup ham, chopped (I used vegan ham)
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. oregano
3/4 cup water
1 can Goya Pink Beans, undrained
1 packet Sazon Goya con Culantro y Achiote
(I'm not sure exactly what that last ingredient is, but I actually a packet of it in my pantry!)

Directions:
Heat oild in large skillet over medium heat.  Add vegan ham, onions, pepper and garlic; cook for 10 minutes.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  Serve over hot white rice.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment