Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Cheesy" Pasta Casserole



There was some leftover pasta salad from the American party yesterday and since LS (who made it) had to leave before the end of the party, I took it upon myself to take home the leftovers!  Thanks LS!  This morning, an idea came to me of something I could try with the leftover pasta salad, and I actually have Ace to thank for that.  He commented on one of my blog posts awhile ago about a pasta salad I made and said he's made a pasta casserole with leftover pasta salad.  I wanted to try this!

I googled "Cheesy Pasta Casserole" and clicked on the first link.  This is the recipe upon which I based my own vegan version:  Cheryl's Spinach Cheesy Pasta Casserole

It looked like a pretty good recipe, so I replaced the cheese with Daiya vegan cheese and the eggs with Ener G, egg replacer.  Otherwise, I pretty much followed the recipe and it turned out to be really, really good.  I broiled it for about four minutes at the end of the baking period to make it nice and crispy on top and, hello... yum. 



Some other things I added to make it my own:  1/4 cup chopped onions and 3 garlic cloves, crushed.  I'm coming to realize that I use onions and garlic in most recipes.  They add such delicious flavor!

I'd say if you want to try this recipe, make it your own.  Follow the basic guidelines, but add whatever you want!  The pasta salad had carrots and olives in it, as well as some other veggies, and it added perfectly to the whole casserole!  The Husband agreed wholeheartedly that this was an amazing dish, and he was even more excited he would have leftovers for lunch the whole week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment