Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Homemade Gnocchi and Basil Soup with Beans


I'm so excited! I just made my own gnocchi from scratch!

Gnocchi is one of my favorite Italian dishes, but I'm not always certain that it's vegan if I see it on a menu somewhere. Problem solved: make it myself! I saw this recipe for a soup that called for gnocchi, and I thought -- why not make my own? I had made gnocchi one time before and I remembered it was a sticky, gooey mess. This time I found a recipe for it on veganyumyum.com. It was so easy to make! I didn't get a chance to take a picture because I was so eager to throw it in my soup and taste it!
Here's the recipe and pictures from vegan yum-yum's site, and that's pretty much how mine looked too! (I only made the gnocchi part of this recipe.)

As I just mentioned, I was planning to make a soup that called for gnocchi. The recipe is from the website of Post Punk Kitchen. (Recommended by fellow veggie-lover LMG.) Post Punk Kitchen calls it "Pesto Soup with Gnocchi, Greens and Beans." I followed the recipe exactly, with of course my homemade gnocchi, and it was so delicious. Nothing is better than soup and pasta made from scratch, you know what I mean? I think The Husband heartily agrees. He said it was the perfect flavor and would make a great winter stew. Ironically enough, even though it's June, it feels a little bit like winter here in So-Cal. (Which means it's cloudy, misty, and 60's.) Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the recipe calls for fresh basil and Swiss chard, which I was pleased to be able to simply snip from my little patio garden! Homemade AND home-grown! Seriously, this is an exciting day.



Click here for the recipe from Post Punk Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment