Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sojouner Cafe in Santa Barbara

Last Friday, I was happy to find a very vegan-friendly restaurant in Santa Barbara.  The friends I was with were very obliging in accommodating my eating preferences, and they even found this place for me!  Thanks S!

Ever since I had tempeh stir-fry at Stone awhile back, I have been craving it again.  In case you're wondering what tempeh is, I always tell people it's "very grainy and nutty, but very good and spicey!"  Sojourner Cafe had tempeh tacos, which I spotted on the menu right away and was pretty much convinced that's what I was going to get.  However, as with all vegetarian/vegan restaurants, I want to try everything!  I wavered between those tacos and the Mediterranean Torta ("a tower of eggplant, hummus, pesto, balsamic-marinated onion, roasted bell pepper, tabbouleh and sprouts, served with pita points and tahini dressing"), but finally stuck with my first instinct and went with the Tempeh Tacos.  This is how the menu describe them:


CHILI TEMPEH TACOS one taco   8 | two tacos  11
Our spicy tempeh blend in warm corn tortillas, with rice, black beans and guacamole and veggies, with a side of horseradish sour cream.


I asked if it was vegan without the sour cream, and yes it was, so I ordered it up asap. 



It was amazing and delicious.  I'm so glad I went with my first choice.  I really have to start using this tempeh stuff at home!  It has a more hearty texture and taste than soy or tofu products, and it's naturally spicy, so it was great in these tacos.  Everything was very fresh and light, and I felt perfectly satisfied after the meal -- not stuffed and overfed like you feel sometimes after eating Mexican food. 



For dessert I ordered a vegan carob-mint cookie.  I was expecting it to taste a lot more like carob, but was disappointed with the overwhelming mint flavor instead.  However, a cookie is a cookie, and it was still delicious.

I definitely recommend Sojourner Cafe to anyone looking for a light, healthy meal.  You will not be disappointed.  There is something for everyone here, and I wish I lived closer to Santa Barbara so I could go back and try all the other vegan dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment