Friday, June 17, 2011

Pig in a Blanket

I'm in the middle of reading a book that takes place in the 1960's. Apparently Pigs in a Blanket were trendy hors d'oeuvres for dinner parties or "Ladies League meetings" during that decade. I remember loving when my college cafeteria served a vegetarian version of the Pigs in a Blanket, and all of a sudden I had a craving for the biscuit-wrapped hot dog snack.

Mission: Pig in Blanket

I bought some good ole vegan Big Franks, by Worthington Foods...


...and made some vegan biscuit dough...

Ingredients:

* 2 cups flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 4 tbsp margarine
* 3/4 cup soy milk

...wrapped the dogs in the dough, baked for 18 minutes at 450, and there we had it -- 3rd grade lunch!(Since we didn't use cocktail weiners and stick the "pigs" on the end of toothpicks, it felt more like elementary school than a classy 1960's party.)


They were everything I imagined them to be: doughy and soy-proteiny goodness. We dipped them in ketchup and mustard and even ate some pickles, carrot and celery sticks to make the school lunch experience all the more authentic.


It wasn't a 60's party here; but a filling, delicious mid-week dinner will suffice.

1 comment:

  1. And what I want to know is what your non-veggie hubby (at least he didn't grow up one, right?) thought of them! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete