Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trader Joe's Meal #2: Italian Wedding Soup


As much as I love soups, and as delicious as this soup was, I think it's officially non-soup season.  It's been so chilly and "June Gloomy" here, I've just kept right on souping it up.  The other night, it was finally hot and felt like summer.  However, I had already been intent on making this soup, so I went for it.

It was really good!  I had always wanted to try Italian Wedding Soup, but since it's full of meatballs, I could never eat it!  I found a healthy-looking recipe and veganized by using the Meatless Meat balls from Trader Joes.  I modified the rest of the recipe too, so I'll just go ahead and tell you how I did it!  And remember, this is a mostly Trader Joe's recipe.  Just saying. 

Ingredients:
8 frozen Meatless Meatballs from Trader Joe's
4 cups vegan chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/8 cup chopped red onion
1 cup fresh spinach
salt, pepper, and lemon pepper to taste

7 oz acine de pepe, or tiny pasta



Combine all the ingredients except the pasta and let it simmer over medium heat for at least one hour.

Around the one hour time mark, start the pasta in a separate pot.  When the pasta is al dente, drain it and keep it in the separate pot.

To serve, ladle the soup into a deep bowl, and add a serving of pasta on top of the soup.  It will settle quickly and mix with the rest of the soup, which is the desired reaction.



W was the one to comment on it being past soup season, and I had to agree.  I was sweating while eating this hot soup!  However, this fact did not stop us from eating the entire pot of soup, so it must have been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment