Monday, June 6, 2011

It's That Time of Year for Potato Salad.

I love salads. Any kind of salad. Green salads, tossed salads, pasta salads, cous cous salads, 3 bean salads, "egg" salad, "chicken" salad, and finally POTATO salad!

You get the idea.

The last of those salads is the one which I will be describing today. I actually have never made potato salad before this past weekend. I've eaten it for sure, but not since becoming vegan. Every vegan cookbook on the planet has an awesome potato salad recipe in it, but I went with the McDougall version.


Let me just say, I apparently did not make enough. The husband could not get enough. It's always nice when your loved ones rave about your food, but this was like I had just made the best thing since sliced bread.


I have to admit, this potato salad was pretty darn good. It's not smothered in mayonnaise like the "real" stuff, which always turned me off from potato salad. I used just a little bit of vegenaise, and added some diced pickles (along with the rest of the recipe.)

Added to a meal of pasta salad, veggie burger, and mango chutney -- it was the perfect summer feast! Yummylicioius!




The McDougall Potato Salad

2 pounds small red potatoes, cute into chunks (I used Idaho Russet Potatoes)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onion (I didn't have any, so I used carrots instead)

Dressing:
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon soy or rice milk
1 tablespoon parsley flakes (I used Italian seasoning)
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
1/8 teaspoon salt
several twists of freshly ground black pepper

Cook potatoes, but don't let them get too soft.

Combine all ingredients for dressing.

I let the potatoes cool in the fridge overnight and then mixed everything together.

Yum.

1 comment:

  1. This can't be a McDougall recipe because he doesn't use oil, and vegan mayonnaise has oil in it.

    ReplyDelete