Saturday, May 21, 2011

Grilled Tofu-stuffed Peppers and Grilled Tofu "Fish"

I came up with this meal at the last minute tonight when my husband decided - much to my chagrin - that he wanted to grill chicken. Hmmm...

So I assessed what kind of veggie goodness I had in the fridge and made an amazing grilled tofu dinner for myself! (The more for me, the merrier!)



First up was the stuffed pepper. When I've made this kind of thing before, I've always just stuffed the pepper with some kind of rice or cous cous mixture. This time, I remembered the jalepeno poppers we made a couple weeks ago and took notes from that.

I hollowed out the green pepper and stuffed it with this mixture:
1/2 block of extra firm tofu, crumbled
1/4 cup Daiya chedder cheese
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup sliced green olives with pimentos
1 tsp crushed red pepper

I blended it all together in my handy Tupperware Chop N Prep (seriously, I should get a commission for promoting that product so much. I love it.)

Once the mixture was stuffed into the green pepper, I dribbled a little soy sauce on top so that it soaked through. Finally, I placed a lemon on top of it all, and grilled for 45 minutes.


As for the other half of the tofu block, I sliced it in half, length-wise.

In a shallow dish, I marinated the slices in a little sauce I just created:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 lemon, squeezed
1/2 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning

I kept flipping the tofu every few minutes so the tofu got nice and soaked in the marinade. Finally, I let it sit for about 15 minutes and put some lemon slices on top.

To grill, I put the tofu slices in the middle of a generous piece of tin foil. I dripped the marinade over the tofu, wrapped it all up, and grilled it for 15 minutes.



Final product = DELICIOUS! The stuffed pepper was surprisingly creamy and flavorful (you never know with tofu, sometimes it's bland, but this mixture did not disappoint.) And the tofu "fish" was lemony and peppery and amazing. Yum. I chowed down the entire thing, except for two bites that I let W have. Did he wish he had shared in my vegan-grilled-goodness? Yes, yes he did.





Okay, so I know there's all this uproar about soy beans and how bad they are for you now or something, but I don't really care. It's not like I just ate a whole block of cheese or an entire chicken, did I? No. I'll stick with my tofu, thankyouverymuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment