Saturday, May 7, 2011

Potatoes are not evil!

Remember when everyone was on that no-carb, high protein kick? Apparently that's coming back by the way (Princess Kate and her sister Pippa are on something called the Dukane diet?), but that's not the point of this story. The point is that, even though potatoes are a starch, they are NOT BAD FOR YOU! They are a vegetable! How could that be bad for you?! Back during Atkins' hay-day, I used to proclaim I was on a HIGH carb diet. I mean, I practically live on rice, potatoes and corn, and I'm a pretty normal, healthy weight. Thankyouverymuch. Atkins can stuff it.

Anyway, the last two weekends I've scrapped the idea of trying make pancakes and have turned to the more savory style breakfast -- "eggs" and potatoes. The eggs of course are scrambled tofu and the potatoes are just amazing and delicious.


Ok people, this breakfast is super easy to make and you don't need to follow a cookbook. However, here are some suggestions I do have for you:

-After cutting the potatoes (I used red ones) soak them in water and rinse them well.
-Add oil,onions, garlic and jalapeno's to the potatoes and cook in a skillet for about 20 minutes. I use an electric skillet and it works great!

-For the tofu scramble I use extra firm.
-Throw in a bunch a spices like tumeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, and black pepper.
-Add some sprinkles of nutritional yeast.
-Lightly fry some onions, garlic, and mushrooms in a pan first and then add the tofu mixutre.
-Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
-Add a handful of fresh spinach in the last 2 minutes.

et voila! bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment