Sunday, May 1, 2011

Vegan Feta Cheese




Say what?! I didn't even know there was such a thing as vegan feta cheese, let alone the fact that I can actually make it myself! I was so excited when I saw this recipe in my faithful cookbook -- "Skinny B**** in the Kitch." Feta cheese was one of my most favorite cheeses ever, back when I ate dairy and stuff. Despite being lactose intolerant, Feta was one of the few cheeses that didn't affect me.

This worked perfectly with my mediterranean-themed dinner, and I recommend that everyone try this recipe immediately. Thank you yet again, Rory Freedman and Kim Barnounin (Skinny B authors).

For three cups of vegan feta cheese:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
14-16 ounces firm or extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and red pepper. Add the tofu and toss gently. Let marinate for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Use immediately.


Okay, so it doesn't taste EXACTLY like real feta, but it's pretty darn close, I have to admit. And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment