Friday, May 20, 2011

Office Trip, Day 2: Seattle


Today was a little trickier. As in, where the rest of the group wants to eat, that is where I must eat. Vegan food or not.

I've heard there's really good vegan restaurants in this city, but I guess I'll have to come back to find those.

This is what I've managed to find on this day in Seattle:

We had a working lunch at Steelhead Cafe, right next to Pikes Market. The menu actually showed quite a bit of vegetable options, but I zoned in on the chili. It said it was vegetarian chili, and I made it vegan by asking for the sour cream and cheese to be left off. Yum! It was delicious and perfect on this rainy day in Seattle.


It had all sorts of veggie goodness in it including hominy, yum, and shitake mushrooms, which I thought was a little random, but whatever. You take what you can get.


At Pikes Place Market, I tasted all the fresh fruit samples and just had to buy a Lady Alice apple, which is some kind of created "breed" of apple that is absolutely amazing. All the fresh produce in the market called out to me teasingly. I wanted all of it. Can I please live in Seattle just so I can shop at Pikes Place EVERY DAY?


For dinner we at at Sky City Restaurant at the top of the Space Needle. The menu did not look promising for me at all. Hmmmm.... Even the salad had cheese on it! I mean, why must cheese be on everything in this country? Even raw vegetables?!

I asked the server if the carrot-ginger soup was made with a chicken or cream base. Yes and yes. Wow, there is literally nothing I can eat here, unless I get that salad without the blue-cheese crumbles... yum, a bunch of lettuce with apple slices. How appealing. By the way, have I mentioned that I absolutely hate fruit in salad? Gross.

The server came over again and kindly suggested something that was not on the menu -- fettucini primavera, or pasta with veggies and marinara sauce. He even assured me that the pasta was not made with eggs, and the veggies were not fried in butter. Hallelujah. This will do just fine, thankyouverymuch. I wouldn't choose to eat at this restaurant if I were you, but if you do, choose this option for something vegan. Not worth the jacked-up price, but it was pretty tasty for pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment