Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 18. Day 18.

Back in Vermont for weekend #2!

On the drive with K we stopped in St. Johnsbury to find something to eat. I felt like we were in one of those movies where the out-of-towners go into some small town local spot and everyone in the place gets quiet and just stares at them. That’s what it was like when we walked into Anthony’s Diner. After our waitress (who looked like she had probably worked there for 40 years) commanded us to “sit anywhere” she slapped some menus on our table and pointed to a white board on the wall. “The specials are over there.” She said in a monotone voice, and walked away. I looked at K, at the menu and said, “I don’t think there’s going to be many vegan options here…”

With a menu that featured fresh Atlantic Haddock, beef stew, and Venison, I almost felt like they would scorn me if I ordered a salad. What do I do?!
K ordered a chicken wrap, so I ordered the veggie one, and felt silly requesting it to be made without mayonnaise and cheese…


...Later at KK and her parent’s house, we sampled fresh hot maple syrup from the neighbors sugar house! Pure Vermont maple syrup. Nothing is more natural than that. We even tasted the sap straight from the tree.



For dinner, KK’s mom made Minestone with Pesto soup. We all know how much I love soup, so I was very excited about this delicious dinner.





KK’s mom gave me the recipe so I could make it for myself at home.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
5 ounces green beans, cut
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 potato, cubed
¼ cabbage, shredded
1 small eggplant, cubed
7-ounce can cannellini beans, drained/rinsed
2 Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
5 cups vegetable stock
3 ½ ounces dried spaghetti
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Basically, you stir-fry everything in the oil for about ten minutes, then add the stock and spaghetti and simmer for 40 minutes. Right before serving, add a dollop of pesto sauce, either store bought or homemade. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment