Monday, March 28, 2011

March 27. Day 27. Home!

Today was my last day of travel! I got my flight moved up, so I got to come home earlier than I though!

One last day of trying to find veggie goodness on the road.

At the airport we found a diner for breakfast. This diner claimed to use all local, fresh ingredients!


I ordered the "old fashioned grits" and "home style potatoes." Not too bad. Kinda just tasted like any other diner though. That's okay. All I could think about was the grocery shopping I was going to do at Henry's when I got home and the big bowl of salad I was going to make.

On the plane, we snacked on the pretzel snaps I still had from the other day and drank a ton of water and tomato juice. The flight was a very LONG five hours. Packed, cramped plane with lots of people coughing on it. I was feeling very grossed out.

Finally! Back in sunny San Diego, we didn't even go home first before stopping at my favorite healthy grocery store, Henry's. I was so starving, I probably grabbed more off the shelves than I should have, but I couldn't help it! Rice milk, cereal, sprouted bread, apples, grapefruit, oranges, red leafy lettuce, carrots, celery, onions, red and green peppers, cilantro, cucumbers, tomatoes, tofu and more! I am so happy to be home!

After unpacking and showering, we put together one of our favorite and delicious meals ever. It's something I call "Haystacks." You layer a plate full of food like this:

Start with corn chips. I like to use a Frito's type chip, and today I used blue corn chips. Add beans and rice on top of the chips. Cheese (vegan of course) on top of that, and then pile it high with tons of veggies. Ours had lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, jalepeno's, onions, green and black olives, cilantro, salsa, and Tapa Tio sauce. Some people say it's a Taco Salad, but I stick to my Haystack; because when you're all done piling everything up, it looks like a hay stack!



UPDATE: Is that piece of lettuce sticking out on the side of the plate bothering anyone else? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment